Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Knitting a Sweater For Me!!!

As mentioned in a couple of earlier posts, I've joined a KAL (knit-a-long) with other knitting buddies to knit my very first cardigan for myself. The name of the cardigan is Every Last Yard (ELY), which means you can knit it with long sleeves, 3/4 length sleeves or short sleeves, and if you wish, shorten or lengthen the body of the sweater - in other words use "every last yard" of your yarn.
With a few hiccups getting the short rows figured out for the curve of the neck and some worrisome small holes at the increases for the sleeves, I am moving along down the body of the sweater. I've gotten lots of help from my local knitting buddies, as well as online ones through Ravelry - a knitting community. Yes, it is knitted all in one piece from the top down - you tie off stitches for the sleeves, then pick them up later and knit each sleeve, all done in the round. This makes for easier sizing as you can try it on as you go.

I'm using Cascade 220 Superwash Wool in a charcoal color and am loving it so far. It feels good to step outside my little box and try something new. I have knit a couple baby cardigans, but nothing of this magnitude.

I also want to cast-on for towel and washcloth sets that will look like this. I'd like to make several sets to have on hand as gifts throughout the year. These are made from cotton and wonderful to use. Photo courtesy of Tabitha's Ravelry project page. If only mine could look half as beautiful as hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment