Saturday, May 8, 2010

Happy Mother's Day to my Mom

As I sit here at my computer on Mother's Day Eve, I've been thinking a lot about my Mother, and decided to "blog" about her. Born in 1913, she lived to be 92 years old, passing away in 2005. She was a "stay at home" Mom, to my brother and I, while my Dad worked to support the family. The thing I can remember most about her was always having a smile on her face, and lots of laughter in our household. I didn't learn to knit or crochet from her, as she didn't know how, but my grandmother taught me to embroidery on pillowcases. In fact every birthday and Christmas, my grandmother always gave me pillowcases she had embroidered flowers, sayings and such. I often asked my Mom why I never got toys or dolls like other girls received. Now, I know why, and boy did I enjoy having all those pillowcases when we got married. My mother did teach me to always be appreciative of what others did for me (including my grandmother, of course), and to respect all people. She lived with my husband and I for the last 25 years of her life, after my father passed away. She took painting classes and painted some beautiful pictures - even won an award in an Art Show. I taught her how to use the computer at age 80, and she and I both took genealogy classes. She got very involved in that hobby and worked on her family research until the end.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, MOM

No comments:

Post a Comment