Monday, April 26, 2010

DAY 1: My History as a Knitter and How I Got Started

As a child, I did not knit or crochet, as my mother didn't know how. She sewed clothes for me, so I learned to sew at an early age. In my teenage years, there was a lady "down the road" that everyone called Grandma Hill, and she is the one who taught me to knit. She must have had the patience of Job, to ever get my clumsy fingers to behave and hold onto the needle and yarn. I knit small things like dishcloths, blankets for my dolls and things of that sorts. I used to crochet edges on pillowcases, and that was about the extent of my knitting. In later years (after raising 3 kids), I went back to knitting and crocheting. I have taken two sock classes and still afraid of socks, but have met a wonderful group of knitting buddies who encourage me to go outside my box of hats, scarves, dishcloths, afghans, etc. I meet up every two weeks with one group and the alternate weeks with another group, and thoroughly enjoy the peace my knitting gives me. I'm presently working on a shawlette.

No comments:

Post a Comment